Mining in same rig different gpus

neokensouneokensou Member Posts: 21
edited September 2016 in Mining
Hi,

I have a motherboard with two pci slots. I have a 1070 nvidia for mining. My question is if I can add another gpu (no sli) like a 1080 or 9X0 series in the same rig or I can't mining from two different GPUs in the same rig because they are not SLI?

Thank you!

Comments

• newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    SLI has nothing to do with mining - it's a gaming technology. Yes you can run as many GPUs as there are PCIE slots on your motherboard. In the x1 sockets we use risers which connect the x16 plug on the GPU to the x1 socket on the motherboard. I have 2 rigs (two motherboards) and each one has 5 AMD GPUs in it. So 10 graphics cards, two computers.
  • neokensouneokensou Member Posts: 21
    newmz said:

SLI has nothing to do with mining - it's a gaming technology. Yes you can run as many GPUs as there are PCIE slots on your motherboard. In the x1 sockets we use risers which connect the x16 plug on the GPU to the x1 socket on the motherboard. I have 2 rigs (two motherboards) and each one has 5 AMD GPUs in it. So 10 graphics cards, two computers.

Those GPUs are different models in the same model? Can I mine in the same rig with one 1070 and a 1080 for example?

Thank you and sorry for my newbie question.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Yes you can. You could mine with 1 x 1070, 1 x 1080, 1 x 970 and 1 x 980 if you wanted to. Most people are using AMD cards because they work better for ETH but the new 10xx series cards are probably great considering how powerful they are vs how much power they use. I use mostly AMD R9 290s. I tried mining with by 970 in my gaming machine but it only hashes at about 16mh/s while a R9 290 will do 30-31 when overclocked. What hashrate does your 1070 give you?
  • neokensouneokensou Member Posts: 21
    25 Mh/s. I have other rig with 980 and has 17Mh/s (Both, no OC). Yes, evereryone knows AMD cards have better Mh. I had Nvidia because I prefer for gaming. They are temporal rigs.

Thanks newmz for your time!
  • poison15ivypoison15ivy Member Posts: 9
    edited October 1
    1 question ... I have 1 rig with 4 working cards and when I connect 5 th the speed decreases drastically so, it is faster to mine with 4 than with 5 GPUs ...
    Any advice on what am I doing wrong ?
    The rig has combination of AMD RX cards (1x 480, 2x 570, 1x 580, and second 580 causes the problems).

Thank You
    The rig is:
    MBO ASrock H61 Pro BTC,
    CPU Intel Celeron G1620 @ 2.70 GHz
    Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

and also another question, which monitor do You use for rigs ?
    (maybe some simple like 10'' or similar for Raspberry)
  • josh5901josh5901 Member Posts: 36
    I mine with 8 1060s so i don't know much about AMD mining rigs. I DO know that they have special on board BIOS settings. perhaps that's where your problems lay? Also, windows 7 is not ideal. You can still upgrade to Win10 for free. It's like a disability option or something like that. Just google it, it still works. I think you have a couple things but upgrade to 10 first and start working driver issues and these AMD bios settings i keep reading about. You'll find your issue. My bet is it's the OS. Load simplemining(linux) on a usb and fire it up with all 5 of your gpus. Let us know what you find.
    I tried loading simplemining and it screwed my USB, and can not for some reason start from a usb (tried every single video guide on how to install, and no use). Can You recommend on one that really works ? I will try Win 10 and post if it helps, thx for idea
  • josh5901josh5901 Member Posts: 36
    @poison15ivy, I have not tried any Linux based mining Software unforunately. I will look around later and see if i can find a good guide and post up for ya though. I would def look in to Win 10 for now though. I got a feeling it'll work. It's just that not many people use Win 7 fo rmining now so things like claymore are probably not optimized for it? I'm guessing a bit,but i'll look it up and maybe even test it on my rig.
    *Setting to boot from USB is in your BIOS. Set it to boot option 1. I'm sure you tried that. I just loaded Ubuntu(way way bigger program than simplemining) and ran fine from usb on my laptop so it should work. I know ya gotta set up an account with them as you don't control the gpus from your PC with simplemining, it's done from a website you access on a normal Windows pc.
    I'll do some digging as i'm interested as well.
    Unfortunately not even Win 10 recognizes my 5 GPU rig, only 4 AMD Cards available :(
    (but if I plug this card solo it is recognized)
    On Windows 10 I got every (about) 30 minutes "Miner thread hangs, need to restart miner!" - I never got this error before, what to do to avoid this ? (and sometimes the whole rig just freezes and I have to manually restart it) ?
    Thx
    ETH: Received error: {"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":4,"error":{"code":-32700,"message":"Worknotfound"}}

And now this error !? What is happening with my rig !? I am totally confused
  • dodybdodyb Member Posts: 1
    hi I am new to mining. Have a question I try using my old GPU together with GTX1070 but windows 7 driver reverts to my old GPU. Does anyone knows why.
    Thanks
or to comment.