Top Posts

external psu for graphics card apply overclock at system startup asic miner block erupter usb how to turn on atx psu without motherboard how to profit from bitcoin mining what is the purpose of the 4 pin molex connector build a bitcoin mining rig display driver amd driver stopped responding and has recovered what is the difference between pci and pci express who are the actors in the judge how to jump start a psu how to use power supply without motherboard teamviewer 5 minute limitation removal pci express riser cable x16 video tdr failure nvlddmkm sys graphics card compatible with motherboard windows has stopped this device code 43 graphics card difference between 4gb and 8gb ram sata to pcie 6 pin pci express x16 vs x1 pcie x1 to pci adapter how to fix thread stuck in device driver build your own asic miner how to install downloaded software in ubuntu difference between 4gb and 8gb ram pcie 3 video card in pcie2 slot pci slot vs pci express graphic card for pci slot pci express x1 in x16 slot display driver stopped responding windows 8 how to boot into recovery partition sapphire hd 7970 ghz edition vapor-x

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much Internet bandwidth does mining use?

NebellNebell Member Posts: 39
edited June 4 in Mining
Anyone know how many mb or gb per month does a 24/7 mining consume?

I'm thinking about getting mobile Internet for my rig because I might set it up in a place with no Internet connection nearby.
Bad idea?

Comments

• techtottechtot Member Posts: 314 ✭✭
    It barley uses any bandwidth at all. I think modem might even work :)

I have noticed that I seem to restart mining on wireless rigs more due to "rejected" shares.
  • ben8jamben8jam Member Posts: 37
    I saw a post where a guy tracked it for a month and it took gigs up and down.

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
    ben8jam said:

It's not only mining but also local nyoc wallet maintenance at least, i think.
  • NebellNebell Member Posts: 39
    Wow that's actually quite a lot. A few months it was at 150gb/month. I don't think I can get cheap mobile Internet with that much bandwidth :)
    At home I have a crappy DSL with 15mbit and I'm mining on wireless connection. Works fine with no rejected shares.
  • NebellNebell Member Posts: 39
    That list can't be right. I'm monitoring my mining usage and it seems to be using less than 100 bytes per second. That's what EthDcrMiner64.exe is using.
  • ben8jamben8jam Member Posts: 37
    Nebell said:

That list can't be right. I'm monitoring my mining usage and it seems to be using less than 100 bytes per second. That's what EthDcrMiner64.exe is using.

Yes his numbers did seem really high.

Anyone else test it?
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 314 ✭✭
    his post includes all of his local traffic..that isn't a good example.

With four miners, I use less than 50KB/s. I have really considered using a modem just for fun if I could find dial up service...

• Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    Jukebox said:

ben8jam said:

It's not only mining but also local nyoc wallet maintenance at least, i think.
    Right - there is no need to run and sync the blockchain just to mine. So very little data is actually used from a throughput standpoint.

Only concern with modem though might be really poor ping to your pool which might affect your ability to quickly find and submit your shares found. But any decent DSL or cable based internet should do just fine.
or to comment.