Top Posts

msi afterburner download windows 7 how to stop display driver from not responding usb 3.0 cable length limit where did the name wikipedia come from mobile recharge with atm card casper the friendly ghost can i keep you pci express 3.0 amd motherboard intel hd graphics 4000 opencl molex to pcie power adapter msi afterburner memory clock not working driver stopped responding and has recovered amd msi afterburner memory clock not working teamviewer 5 minute limitation removal molex to 8 pin gpu how to fix thread stuck in device driver apply overclock at system startup what is the difference between pci express x16 and 3.0 ati radeon hd 6950 drivers can you turn paypal into cash windows 7 display driver stopped responding sapphire r9 280 dual x display driver stopped responding and has recovered windows 8.1 how to update bios on msi motherboard esop employee stock option plan 4 pin molex to 6 pin pcie 6 pin vga power connector mobile recharge with atm card pcie 3 video card in pcie2 slot video card compatible with motherboard undefined reference to pthread create how to reflow a gpu difference between pci express x1 and x16 display driver stopped responding amd

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thermal pad on GPU to reduce heat

KlintistwoodKlintistwood Member Posts: 140
Hi all,

I've been reading all kind of opinion on thermal pad pasted at the back of the GPU, most of the comments I have seen were negative but call me stubborn, I wanted to make up my mind.

So i bought this ultra cheap (<1€!) pad : <a href="http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/FIqFE6M">Thermal Pad on Aliexpress

And guess what... it worked!!

Here is a picture before applying the pad

GPU is most of the time hotter than the others, I don't know why but I decided to apply the pad there. Temp here is 56°C

Result here:

Look at GPU 2 again, temperature down to 51°C

I'll leave it like this for a while to see how it performs and then try it on another card. If it succeeds again, I'm definitely going to buy some additional ones.

Any similar experiences?

Thanks

Comments

• Miner8472Miner8472 Member Posts: 94
    That is a really nice improvement. I would like to do things like this but wonder if would invalidate warranty with new cards. Worth considering though.

You might also want to consider thermal pads/heatsinks for other parts of the card. The temperatures vary across the card. I know that VRMs often are not cooled sufficiently and people recommend putting a heatsink or thermal pads on them. Never done it before but I will be gluing a heatsink over the VRMs on my non-mining rig graphics card soon.

I believe memory doesn't usually get hot although this community does tend to push the memory very high so probably worth looking into this if you have the time.
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 185 ✭✭
    only use thermal pads for memory, in gpu and cpu always use good thermal paste
  • KlintistwoodKlintistwood Member Posts: 140
    I pasted the thermal pad on the back of the GPU but I can remove whenever I want, it's just sticky enough to stay there not really attached. I also considered adding a heat sink but I haven't tried yet, I have a spare one so I'll give it a try as soon as I have time.
  • kj08kj08 Member Posts: 8
    Can you please share a picture of your GPU with thermal pad applied? Do you just put in on the backside?

I have issues with my server PSU getting really hot and this could help may be.
  • KlintistwoodKlintistwood Member Posts: 140
    @kj08 sure, there you go:

Nothing too fancy, i just placed it where most of the heat was coming from.

It's not made for PSU so I'm not sure it would be a good idea to put it there.
or to comment.