PLEASE HELP - Proliant DL830 G5 server running nyoc in my kitchen (What am I gonna Do?)

greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
edited April 2016 in Mining
Please Help.

I have a HP Proliant DL830 G5 server in my kitchen with Windows 7 Pro 64bit running on it. Yes I know it is designed for OS "Windows Server 2008" but all drivers loaded ok other than IPMI (probably not supported by Windows 7 ) and I consider that a security risk anyhow.
It has....

8 RAM
Two Quad-Core Intel (R) Xeon (TM) Prossesors (2.5 Ghz/1333 MHz, 2x4MB L2)
Embedded Graphics card ATI ES1000, 32MB video standard
Three, HP AMD Radion HD 8350 1GB Graphics GPU cards fitted in pci-e riser
and one AMD Radeon HD 7870 Dual-X 2GB GPU in the process of being fitted externally (I have to mod the two power supplies with a pair of 6pin pci-e power feeder cables and a molex feeder cable with a voltage regulator to get 5V from the 12V for the x1 to x16 pci-e powered riser usb3 pcb).
It has 2 x 1000w PSUs

I am monitoring the systems power consumption with a watt meter to try tell what it is up to. The machine uses 294w at idle with monitor on.

When I run “ethminer -G” I get... “No GPU devices with sufficient memory was found. Can't GPU mine, Remove the “-G” argument” displayed. (power consumption = 294w)

When I run “ethminer” I get lines of hashing ~185,000H/s = 132,000hashes (power consumption = 347w) so I guess this is my 8 cores of CPU as the mouse becomes sluggish and windows explorer takes­ ages to open.

When I run “ethminer –opencl -device 1” I get lines of hashing ~53,000H/s = 28,000hashes (power consumption = 311w), I guess this is one of my HD 8350, 1GB Graphics GPU cards hashing???? Not sure???? Anyone know what figures I should expect? I understand this command turns off my embedded GPU and instructs to mine on one pci-e card? Windows explorer works without haste.

I tried to run “ethminer –opencl -device 3” but also got lines of hashing ~53,000H/s = 28,000hashes (power consumption = 311w).
I understand this command turns off my embedded GPU and instructs ethminer to mine on three GPU pci-e card?

Then I tried to run “ethminer –opencl -device 3 –mining-threads 3” and got ~123,000H/s = 71,000hashes. (power consumption = 348w). Is this the three HD 8350 GPUs running? Not much for 3Gig. Windows explorer works without haste.

Q) If it is the three GPU cards... they are less than my CPUs, No??? Can I run three GPU cards and 4 of my 8 cores as well, maybe in another instance of “ethminer”?????

Q) When I fit the AMD Radeon HD 7870 Dual-X 2GB... will the command “ethminer –opencl -device 4 –mining-threads 4” include the HD 7870 in the total hashing power?

Also am I right in thinking 123,000H/s = a miserable 0.123MH/s

I looked “ethminer --help” in I know I ask a lot but have gone as far as I can go on my own,

Thanks in advance, Paula.
Post edited by greenuser on

Comments

• retherrether Member Posts: 258 ✭✭
    You can only mine on cards with at least 2GB of memory because of the size of the DAG, that's why you're getting that error.
  • greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    What error rether? I am mining. Have 3G total, soon to be 5G. Q) was not about error.
    Q) was about... multiple instances of ethminer, multiple GPUs, commands, and configs,
    but thank you for your input anyhow. Enjoy your day. :)
  • oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    @rether Please expound your comment so that @greenuser may completely understand your point. good luck.
  • PsipheriousPsipherious Member Posts: 13
    He's referring to this error:
    “No GPU devices with sufficient memory was found. Can't GPU mine, Remove the “-G” argument”

You mentioned all existing cards in your system have 1GB RAM on each of them or less and that you are fitting in 7870's with 2GB of RAM.

The 1GB cards *can not* mine nyoc at all.

The 2GB cards, once they are in, will be able to. You will have to use the --opencl-device command to tell your ethminer.exe which card is the 2GB card and to use that one to mine with.

You can use --list-devices to find out the card numbers in your system and how much RAM they have.

I have no idea which device is mining when you run: ethminer –opencl -device 3, perhaps an onboard video card that uses system RAM and is somehow able to allocate up to 2GB?? Just a guess. If not that then maybe somehow it's using your CPU.

Try the --list-devices and see what it says device 3 is.
    edited April 2016
    Thank you for your input Psipherious, i will try that and post my results, What command is for multiple devices? and can i do damage with the wrong command? can i run multiple instances of ethminer in their own CMD? I am out my depth here, (I'm an ageing electronics engineer so not too software savvy "--yet") so confidence is wavering a little and im hungry for my project to work.
    Paula
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Remove all those garbage GPUs and only mine with the 7970.
    Don't CPU mine either because all it will do is use up electricity.

Disable onboard video and should work right away/
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,254 mod
    @adaseb was a HD 7870 not 7970.

@greenuser, what you have is a big box of wasted time and electricity. The 7870 might get you about 10Mh/s now and you'll be wasting nearly 500W.

'Each' GPU has to have a minimum of 2Gb to mine.
    When you ran “ethminer –opencl -device 1”, you told ethminer to only use one core of the CPU to mine.

Please do some proper research on GPU mining before you waste any more money.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Yeah 7870 is even worse. You might get about 12-13MH/s with that.

@adaseb That was their benchmark. So guessing 10 now.
    results for: "ethminer --list-devices"

Listing OpenCLdevices.
    FORMAT: [DeviceID] DeviceName

C: \Program Files\Ethereum 0.9.41\Release_
    -----------------------------------------------
    Maybe no devices, wonder where the 0.123MH/s comes from,
    Anyway, hooking up the 7970 now
    It's 7970 now is it? Did you actually read my post? Your hash was from the CPU.
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @greenuser, the single most important parameter in mining is the Watts to Mhps ratio. While less important now because of the high price of ETH it will come to dominate. So, first of all get rid of the !GB GPU's. Should see your power usage drop to around 100W (idle). The 7870 will double that if mining properly. Just a simple ethminer -G will get it going provided you setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT to 100 when starting the command terminal.
    You are now mining with just your CPU with those low hash-rates.

It's 7970 now is it? Did you actually read my post? Your hash was from the CPU.

Sorry, Radeon HD 7870 and No. But i have now.

When you ran “ethminer –opencl -device 1”, you told ethminer to only use one core of the CPU to mine.

Trying to do 3 things at once, lid is off, wires all over the place, peas boiling over, I will try remember to check before i post :# Wouldn't want to upset you. Anyhow, do you think i just shouldent bother and go watch TV instead?

So... “ethminer –opencl -device 1” starts a core? Hmmm.... interesting. Oh BTW, I gave £4 for the three HD 8350 . Cheaper than going up the social club :) healthier too. ebay thisafternoon, any offers upwards of £4? Just getting the lid back on.
    @greenuser, well you have a couple of PSU's which could be good for 4 GPU's each, and it sounds like you're having fun. Problem with mining now, is that it's very much an up hill battle. So if you haven't got >100Mhs going now, then chances are you won't make any money from it at all.

As for TV, better to sell that along with the HD8350, 7870 and sink into some nyoc research instead... :)
    ethfan said:

Just a simple ethminer -G will get it going provided you setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT to 100 when starting the command terminal.

Ok so i have geth -rpc in one CMD.
    I open another CMD
    type: "setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT to 100" [enter]
    and then navigate to "C:\Program Files\Ethereum 1.0.1\Release>"
    Type: "ethminer -G" [enter]
    and away I go?

Sorting drivers at the mo. I have no CD so internet hunt for drivers as well as Yorkshire pudding

But thanks you guys. @o0ragman0o i'm a kinaesthetic learner, plus you can't ask a book or web pages questions. :)

@greenuser Can't ask a TV questions either ;) But aren't you asking this web page questions, and getting answers?
    Hell no, your people not a pages, but yer, i get it!
    Do i need spacial drivers, Im using a....
    readion_crimson _16.3.2minimalisesetup_web.exe
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-7000-Series-Drivers.aspx for Win 7 64bit
    It seems to be updating C++ referbs and all sorts of stuff
    edited April 2016
    @greenuser, I am a Linux user but I believe the correct way in windows is:
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    No "to".
    What I do is:
    export GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT=100

and ethminer -G is for Linux where you are in your home directory and the ethminer binary is in your path. Not sure about Windows version. Maybe ethminer.exe -G
    greenuser said:

@greenuser On nyoc, no one knows you're a fridge.

It's taking ages to reboot
    @ethfan "ethminer -G"
    This server was £50, worth it for the two 1000w PSUs
    1st logical drive = 3 x 146GB Hard drives runing RAID 5 - total space 273GB
    2nd logical drive = 2 x 146GB Hard drives running RAID 0 - total space 273GB,(backup of 1st logical drive) Hot swapable, and room for 3 more drives so no prob if that blockchain grows.

Ok problems

Just poped up, lookes ok in device manager though.
    I'm gonna try mining and if it dont work, I will try the manual instal.

Now I'm totally confused. Cant help but smile. A big smile. :D :D If I were you, I will sell just everything of what you're trying to assemble and buy 3gb Gpu (AMD/Nvidia) or better yet buy ether directly. No wasted electricity.
    Hmmm.... windows device manager says driver is installed and working. The numbers in properties match the latest edition from the AMD website....
    But AMD window pops up and says no driver installed? Hmmm....
    DRIVERS_ Drivers. drivers??? :s
    I dont think my other half be too happy me buying a costly graphics card. If i can get mining with this for the time being.... I may sway him. (not overnight though). You will work you Ba****D card!!

Oh.. yer i have some ether... But would be nice to mine some
    edited April 2016
    Suggest you try Linux. If you insists on Windows, nice guide here:
    /discussion/comment/28903/#Comment_28903
    edited April 2016
    Try 1 more time. Since ethminer worked on your cpu at first try I would conclude that your Windows 7 is 64 bit and created your ether wallet. Try these steps.

1. download ccleaner and install.
    2. downlod ddu from guru3d.com unzipped then run the display driver uninstaller. will prompt you to boot in safe mode. click ok.
    3. on safe mode run the displaydriveruninstaller.exe and click completely remove and reboot. upon completion will restart and boot to normal windows
    4. run ccleaner >registry>analyze then ok (no need to back up registry, sole purpose mining)
    5. install your amd drivers. this will prompt you to reboot again. click restart.
    6. now you're ready to mine. First make a .bat file with these parameters.

setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100 (very useful for 2gb cards 7870)
    setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    ethminer.exe -G blah blah parameters

( i dont know the specific function of each line but it works. Your 1gb cards will not work)
    save the .bat file on the same folder with your ethminer.exe

7. run geth --rpc --fast
    8. run the .bat file
    9. watch tv
    edited April 2016
    step 7 is for solo mining. You only have 1 card which will hash at 10 or 12 megahashes per second (from comments above) and will take forever to mine a block so instead try mining on a pool and will give the equivalent of your shares in ether. Also simulate on ether calculators how much ether you can expect daily on that card. Lastly read read & read. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Thanks guys, will follow what you posted oslak. I have ccleaner, i have cooked and eaten, i am getting square eyes here... and i will wear the on off switch out at this rate.
    The current driver will not mine. keep getting the popup as posted above. Tried and tried.
    Plan: 1) Take a break, 2) follow oslak advice. 3) think about ethfan advice (sudo unbootooooo usb live trial... again) ;)
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭

greenuser said:

@greenuser On nyoc, no one knows you're a fridge.

Noooo! How did they find out my secret? =\
    greenuser said:

Ok problems

Just when the install looks like it has worked ok... this pops up. (see above)

I followed oslak instructions and it's still the same. Digging around the net...it seems others have had this issue.
    look http://us.battle.net/en/forum/topic/14609911719?page=1
    2 pages and still no answer. (I'm not a gamer so tricky to understand)

Found this https://reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3zxsal/amd_radeon_software_crimson_edition_161_hotfix/

that lead me to this HOT FIX.exe
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.1-Hotfix-Release-Notes.aspx

I tried it and still same error. So tomorrow, I will use system restore to go back to where i was this morning, (I created a restore point just in case). I will follow oslak instructions, again from the top... uninstal and then re-install the hot fix.
    Thank you ALL for your help.
    I will post results,.. when... i crack this.
    long day
    sleepy miner.... :o zZ
    Change driver. Try 15.11 or 15.12
    UPDATE

I slept most of today (I am quite old), I sent a lot of time on this issue yesterday. :/
    Anyway, Today:
    1) used system restore to revert back to the start of yesterday morning, (reboot)
    2) ran ddu, boot into safe mode. uninstalled drivers.(reboot)
    3) ran CCleaner reg clean. (shutdown)
    4) Powered up again, downloaded and installed AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 15.12
    http://guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-software-crimson-15-12-driver-download.html

installation went ok. (reboot)

5) followed advice from here: /discussion/5592/how-to-mine-get-started-fast-and-easy-for-windows-7-detailed-guide

Downloaded and installed AMD openCL 3 SDK Package for here: http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/opencl-zone/amd-accelerated-parallel-processing-app-sdk/

Download and installed the microsoft Redistributables
    http://microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=40784

(reboot)

6) ran geth -rpc and let it sync

7) ran ethminer

then got

then got
    greenuser said:

AGAIN!!!!!

I don't know what else i can do. I have now tried both new and old drivers.
    Maybe try a 3rd party driver utility?
    or try and install the GPU card in a different slot.
    I have my RAID controller in 1 and the HD7870 in slot 2, still have 3, 4, & 5 free
    try a different usb_3 riser card (i have a spare)
    try and identify an alternative driver.
    Numbers on the card are HD7870 GHZ EDITION 2G GDDR5 PCI-E DL-DVI -I+SL-DVI-D/HDMI/DP

ANYONE - ANYIDEAS? :(

So close to jumping up and down on the darn thing and smashing it to tiny bits.... but dont have the energy
    try again tommorrow?

or to comment.