WIFI or Ethernet

agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 281 mod
Is it better to stay on ethernet? Or does WIFI have no affect?

Comments

• shawn_Blah_Blahshawn_Blah_Blah Member Posts: 57
    I had some problems with losing connections with wifi, I'm all ethernet now. Ethernet will always be "faster". So, if it's not to much of a pain, always go that way is my rule. Plus you don't get all those wifi signals frying your nutsack.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Back in the LTC days, I was using wifi, but the connection was not stable. Ended up laying down some cat6 wiring to my mining room, and connected all my rigs to it via a big cisco gigabit switch. All is good now :)
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    WiFi has a much higher latency than ethernet. Use a wire when you can.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a funny picture of climbing a telephone/power pole to hang an ethernet run between buildings. For mining, ethernet all the way.
  • verjicverjic Member Posts: 143
    I had one RIG on WiFi and there is no difference in total submitted shares/hour with the one on Ethernet. Important to have very good WiFi router and not to place the RIG to far from WiFi.
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I have 2 setups.
    One is ethernet to coax broadband = 15 to 25ms delay
    Other one is a mobile phone 4G acting as a router for 2 wireless rigs = 70-75ms delay.

No infulence on the amount of work submitted. Amount of information shared over the net is very small.
    Unless you run upwards of 20 rigs there will be no difference between ethernet and WiFi.

In high traffic situations WiFi will start to perform worse because by it's own nature (collision avoidance) the packets will have to wait till the other rigs are done sending.
  • BiodomBiodom Member Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    @bbcoin
    So, 15-25ms vs 70-75ms delay does not really matter? This is good to know as i was contemplating wi-fi.
    Having ethernet cables all over the place is out of the question for me. maybe i should ask electrician to put cat 6 ethernet into the wall.
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I have both on my rigs. Serves as a backup especially those on which I am using power-line networking connections (which are not all that stable...)
  • bbcoinbbcoin Member Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Biodom said:

@bbcoin
    So, 15-25ms vs 70-75ms delay does not really matter? This is good to know as i was contemplating wi-fi.
    Having ethernet cables all over the place is out of the question for me. maybe i should ask electrician to put cat 6 ethernet into the wall.

No point going into the wall unless you will invest in Power over Ethernet.

Keep in mind 70-75ms is for a Smartphone getting signal from the rigs via WiFi and then sending it to the nearset signal tower.
    If you got a cable broadband and then you will share it via WiFi the latency will be around 40-50ms

Obvs delay will change according to which server you will send the data to.
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 281 mod
    So I did a simple ping test in cmd, and I pinged the pool I'm mining in which is nanopool, with both wifi and ethernet while running ethminer.

In cmd I typed, ping -t nanopool.org

I let that run for about 2 minutes both times. To stop it press Control and C, and you'll get your results.

I did this to see if I get any packet loss
    For ethernet I got 0% packet loss and the latency was averaged at 18ms

For WIFI I got 0% packet loss and latency was averaged at...I forgot lol, sorry. BUT I know it was a good amount higher than ethernet.

So, if I'm not getting any packet loss with WIFI, it should be OK to mine on WIFI?

Also I had my rig mining on WIFI for a day and it seemed like it was getting the same results as ethernet.

Is it packet loss or latency that is important for mining? Or both I guess?
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    Any delay in getting a share to your pool means someone else may submit the same solution before you. Thus, higher rate of invalid shares.
or to comment.