Top Posts

pci express x1 card slot usb to pcie mini card adapter amd driver stopped responding and has recovered how to fix thread stuck in device driver power supply connector to motherboard graphic card slot on motherboard amd a8 6600k dual graphics msi how to update bios motherboard 6 pin power connector best scrypt coin to mine how much does kraken cost difference between pci express and pci pcie x1 in x4 slot package installer sublime text 3 sata to pcie 6 pin cheapest way to convert money aluminum angle iron home depot how long does it take to mine bitcoins maximum usb 3.0 cable length pci express x1 to x16 adapter amd display driver not responding sata power to 6 pin pci express how to fix thread stuck in device driver ubuntu how to install bundle pcie x1 in x16 slot how to change gpu fan speed can you put a pcie x1 in a x16 slot seasonic s12ii 620 watts psu msi r9 280x gaming 3gb graphic card for pci slot

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mounting a motherboard on a homemade frame

sweetdoodysweetdoody Member Posts: 13
Hello everyone, I'm in the progress of making a wooden open air case/frame for a 6 GPU rig.
The motherboard will lay on two wooden slats to secure it with screws.
Do I have to raise the motherboard at all or can it just be sat on the wood?
And if it has to be raised, what material could I use?
I'm using an ASRock H81 and it came packaged with a pinkish foamy sheet. Perhaps that?

Comments

• Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    @sweetdoody I cut up 1/4" reinforced rubber tubing into .25 inch long pieces and used that as spacers... Works pretty well, and cheap, bought a foot for less that a buck... You can use probably alot of things, as long as they act as insulators. I don't think i'd trust mounting the MB right on the wood, not sure if the moisture content in the wood could short anything out.
  • sweetdoodysweetdoody Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2016
    Would the foamy sheet work? I don't have rubber tubing.

EDIT: I had a look online, it's an anti static sheet. This is what it looks like:

• Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    @sweetdoody probably being as it's an antistatic foam sheet. I don't see why it wouldn't, just don't mount the board so tight the solder joints on the bottom pierce the sheet and touch the wood... Like I said, not sure if the wood could short the board or not (dependent on moisture content) but you should be fine..
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    My H81 mobos sit on boards (and 4 bolts so they don't move. Should be fine.
  • LP12LP12 Member Posts: 40
    @sweetdoody you could always "sling" the mobo vertically, attaching it to the wooden frame, gripping two edges gently like a slot? In fact, i'd sling the whole lot, cards and all vertically...
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    plastic melts...
    ethfan said:

plastic melts...

Who mentioned plastic?
  • ethfanethfan Member Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

ethfan said:

plastic melts...

Who mentioned plastic?
    What do you think your pink thing is made of?
    ethfan said:

ethfan said:

plastic melts...

Who mentioned plastic?
    What do you think your pink thing is made of?
    Got it :P
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 281 mod
    I just keep mine on the wood, works great.

rig.jpg 226.3K
  • agent412agent412 Member, Moderator Posts: 281 mod
    G416G said:

I would not use the foam or plastic or lie it straight on anything. Its good for the board to have some airflow underneath. Boards are supposed to be installed on little feet..

I have a setup close to agent142 but I'm raised by 1/4" on little brass feet. I just hammered the brass feet in the wood after making a small pilot hole and filled the holes with crazy glue first. works solid but proper alignment took some time.

Same for the hard drive.. looks to me like agent is sitting flat but I prefer to raise mine as they get super hot.

Also one more thing for agent421. Nice rig but are you using wifi on all that ? If so that's a huge waste.

Yeah i know i shouldn't be on wifi, but i just moved my rig and i don't have a long enough ethernet wire yet, it'll be wired tomorrow.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,254 mod

EDIT: I had a look online, it's an anti static sheet. This is what it looks like:

Antistatic foam is antistatic because it is conductive. You don't want to run any bare electricals on the stuff, it's only used for storage/transport.
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Just do what everybody else does... put it on top of the motherboard box it came in

adaseb said:

Just do what everybody else does... put it on top of the motherboard box it came in

Too true. I've seen more ghetto rigs with the motherboard sitting on the box then anything else.
  • JPSJPS Member Posts: 63

Antistatic foam is antistatic because it is conductive. You don't want to run any bare electricals on the stuff, it's only used for storage/transport.
    Blablabla.... I run boards on their boxes and the foam many times a day. No, it's not conductive, no it doesn't get hot unless you're already frying the board. But hey, on the internetz, everyone's an expert....
    @G416G you are starting to sound like an idiot, honestly. I've seen dozens and dozens of rigs with the motherboard sitting on the cardboard box. Fire hazard? Hardly. I've run plenty of setups like this myself when I was short on time.

Sure, it's better to mount things properly, but ghetto rigs are at the very heart and foundation of mining. If you've never run a 5-6 card rig perched around your coffee table or desk... well, you're fancier then me.
    @G416G Smoking on the sofa is definitely a fire hazard; there's flame and significant heat involved. Running a motherboard on a cardboard box is no different then mounting it on wood. The bottom of a motherboard should never get anywhere near hot enough to burn things.
    Its not a fire hazard because the motherboard will never reach the temperature required for the cardboard to ignite which is like 220C for plain regular paper. If the motherboard ever reaches those temps it will shut off to prevent damage.

adaseb said:

Its not a fire hazard because the motherboard will never reach the temperature required for the cardboard to ignite which is like 220C for plain regular paper. If the motherboard ever reaches those temps it will shut off to prevent damage.

Mhm... If your motherboard got that hot, it wouldn't matter what it's sitting on... It would be a fire hazard on ANYTHING.
    Most of the motherboard sits at room temperature, near the CPU might be a little hotter . However these days CPUs don't even reach 60-70C and those are directly attached to a heatsink.

Sure it is ghetto but it works and gpu mining usually has a very short time span so its not worth buying $100-$200 aluminum gpu rig frames which will become useless in a few months.
  • Chris31Chris31 Member Posts: 21
    It is probably ok to place a MB on top of a cardboard box for a short attended testing. Anything that must be run 24/7 in summer then you will be hoping that nothing fails, overheat and burn the cardboard it is sitting on.

The "NORMAL" operating temp is not the problem, its the component failure is what you need to watch out for.
  • Chris31Chris31 Member Posts: 21
    G416G said:

JPS said:

Blablabla.... I run boards on their boxes and the foam many times a day. No, it's not conductive, no it doesn't get hot unless you're already frying the board. But hey, on the internetz, everyone's an expert....

Anyone who's running a board on cardboard and foam needs to have their head examined, or at least keep it to yourself and don't post it as an acceptable solution.

You also say many times a day, what kind of amateur are you. we are talking about 24hrs a day 365 days a year.
    It is kinda scary when we see newbies going ghettos on electronics equipment running at multi kilowatts of power.
  • hasherhasher Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Guys, do it properly, or don't do it at all. I'm sure many of you are setting these rigs up in your house. The last thing you want to do is burn your house down. Don't think it won't happen to you, because shit happens all the time!

(Picture above is not mine, but it got a lot of attention back in the LTC mining days)
    @hasher that photo doesn't look like fire, it looks like a roof caved in?
    edited April 2016
    @hasher - "I had a house fire yesterday morning. It started in the attic and the fire department went in and took care of it. Unfortunately, they had to tear down the celing to get to the fire and hose everything down."

The equipment didn't cause the fire, there was a fire and the fire department ruined all his mining gear while they were putting it out. The gear didn't burn at all, and wasn't the cause of the fire.
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    You can build an aluminum rig for $20. I used thick plastic spacers wear the screw holes are when I screwed mobo to the wood. They are really not that hard to build. You can make a few of them in one day. Check out "bits be trippin" on youtube. They have a video from like a year or two ago which can help any mining newb build one.
    Aluminum rig will cost closer to $100, the aluminum tubing is expensive. Wood rig for $20 maybe.
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    Guess it depends on where you live. I bought 20' angled aluminum piece for $20. Bought 10' piece of wood for like $2 and box of self tapping screws for like $5. The aluminum only makes one case, the wood could make two or three cases, and screws were good for like eight cases. So maybe $22 to build a case for me.
    20' or 20''?

At Home Depot $20 you only get 3'
or to comment.