Top Posts

display driver stoped responding and has recovered gigabyte pci simple communications controller computer keeps shutting off and restarting pci latency timer 32 or 64 power supply for r9 280x pcie x16 to x1 adapter msi afterburner fan speed locked sapphire dual-x r9 280x 3gb 6 pin video card power adapter is xfx a good gpu brand msi r9 280x gaming 3gb asic miner block erupter usb check psu cable in dell server display driver stopped responding and has recovered windows 8.1 intel hd graphics 4000 opencl maximum length of usb 3.0 cable ubuntu how to install bundle 4pin to 6pin power adapter windows remote desktop vs teamviewer pci to pci express adapter card what are pci slots used for start windows 7 in recovery mode how to profit from bitcoin mining windows display driver stopped responding power supply for r9 280x can you turn paypal into cash usb to pcie mini card adapter molex to sata power adapter where is the bitcoin blockchain stored msi afterburner fan speed locked how to jump start a psu molex 4 pin to 6 pin casper the friendly ghost can i keep you low end cpu with high end gpu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gigabyte R9 280x MHs

MD2901MD2901 Member Posts: 71
edited April 2016 in Mining
I have recently undervolted my gigabyte four R9 280x cards. With stock settings the output was 83MH.
My current settings are 1094v, 1000 core clock, 1500 memory clock. Current output is between 72-73MH for all four.

Does anyone have better results with these cards?
It is hard to tell what is a good result with today, with difficulty getting higher.

Many thanks,
Post edited by MD2901 on

Comments

• MD2901MD2901 Member Posts: 71
    edited April 2016
    Spent at least 40 hours changing things around in many ways, this week alone.
    I reinstalled 4 versions of drivers and cleared each time with DDU (which didn't actually work)
    So I did a bunch of formats / fresh installs of windows to properly change drivers. Now running Catalyst 15.12.

My gigabyte 280x is still at 18MH. Tried various combinations including 1000-1100 gpu clocks.
    1350-1500memory clocks. 1.050v, 1.094v, stock settings. Tried OC Guru, Afterburner, and GPU tweak.

I can't think of a different way in which to bang my head against this wall. Any ideas why it's only 18MH?
    As mentioned before, the same card (and other 3 of the same cards) went at 20-21MH last week with stock settings.
  • disturbiliciousdisturbilicious CanadaMember Posts: 24
    MD2901 said:

Spent at least 40 hours changing things around in many ways, this week alone.
    I reinstalled 4 versions of drivers and cleared each time with DDU (which didn't actually work)
    So I did a bunch of formats / fresh installs of windows to properly change drivers. Now running Catalyst 15.12.

My gigabyte 280x is still at 18MH. Tried various combinations including 1000-1100 gpu clocks.
    1350-1500memory clocks. 1.050v, 1.094v, stock settings. Tried OC Guru, Afterburner, and GPU tweak.

I can't think of a different way in which to bang my head against this wall. Any ideas why it's only 18MH?
    As mentioned before, the same card (and other 3 of the same cards) went at 20-21MH last week with stock settings.

That's really weird. My Sapphire 280x is stable at 1040/1500 MHz @ 1.056 V, which gets me 20.5 Mh/s.

Maybe your card is hitting the power limit and underclocking automatically. Have you tried increasing the power limit? Also, could you upload a dump of the ROM you're using? I'd like to take a look at it.
    I don't know much about the bios settings or the command lines for the ethminer batch file.
    Those are the 2 aspects of this I haven't spent much time on, aside from doing the minimum.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6HNx74FwQi2UEs4TUpVNXBYcGM/view?usp=sharing
    I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the BIOS.

My miner settings are pretty much the defaul Claymore settings prefaced by the standard GPU settings:

setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool POOL_ADDR -ewal WALLET -epsw x -eworker WORKER_NAME -ethi 8 -mode 1
    This is what I used in my batch file when I used stock settings and it gave me 20-21MH:

ethminer.exe --cl-extragpu-mem 0 -G -F http://us2.ethermine.org:5555/address.workername

I then made only one change, which was to update the bios with 1.050v as in the file attached.
    The same .bat file now gives 18MH.

I gave your settings a try:
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0

The result 17-18MH. Could you recommend a different command line for ethminer?
    You could try adding these to the command:
    --cl-local-work 256 --cl-global-work 16384

You could then use eth-proxy with a high enough --farm-recheck value (1000ms?), since at that point it'd be mostly decorative anyway.

Then there's Genoil's miner (fork of ethminer, so the exact same settings should work), and Claymore's miner (different implementation altogether).

If nothing else works, you could try modding the ROM and increasing the voltage to somewhere in between the current and the default value (say, 1.125 V), and see if that does the trick.
    edited May 2016
    Have spent 8 hours a day every day after work for a week trying to get it going.
    Gave up on Ethminer. Tried Claymore. It works perfectly. I hope someone finds this useful.

In summary:
    1. I started with stock settings on a Gigabyte R9 280x OC v2.
    2. The results on average were 19.5MH-20.5MH.
    3. I then undervolted as the only change to stock settings, now at 1.050v.
    4. MH now barely managed 18MH.
    5. Had 20 failures to install drivers (using safemode/DDU and AMD driver remover).
    6. Formatted and reinstalled windows to try various combinations on a bunch of drivers.
    7. Ended up with Crimson 15.12 drivers.
    8. Tried combinations including 1000-1100 gpu clocks. 1350-1500memory clocks.
    9. Tried combinations including 1.050v, 1.094v, stock settings / OC Guru, Afterburner, and GPU tweak.
    10. Tried a various combinations of command lines for the ethminer .bat file.
    11. After every combination listed above, the results remained at 18MH.
    12. Gave up on Ethminer.

Current hardware / settings:
    1. Dualcore something with 8gb 1600ram in Windows 7, running from a 32GB flash drive.
    2. Gigabyte R9 280x with flashed bios / all stock settings, except now at 1.050v.
    3. Crimson 15.12 drivers (as above, had to format drive to install this properly).
    4. Afterburner 4.2.0. Used this to change settings to: core clock 1050 / memory clock 1350.
    5. Now on Claymore v4.1, used sample settings as advised in its Readme.txt file.

Conclusion:
    Claymore took about 5 minutes to set up and now my card is on 19.9MH average.
    For the steps I used to undervolt my bios, check my earlier comment in this thread:
    /discussion/6438/gigabyte-r9-280x-flashing-bios/p1

Edit:
    1. To get ~20MH, before the same 280x got to 75-80ºC. Now it sits at a steady at 55ºC.
    2. This test machine is now also doing the above at 206watts, steady, as per kill-a-watt.
    Post edited by MD2901 on
    Well, there you go :smile:
or to comment.