Top Posts

power supply connectors on motherboard how to update amd drivers windows 7 how to stop display driver from not responding do you need a crossfire bridge do you need a crossfire bridge how to jumper power supply 6 pin to molex connector how to convert money from paypal to bank account amd radeon hd 6950 driver amd radeon hd 6750m benchmark asus display driver stopped responding disable driver enforcement windows 7 msi motherboard boot menu key start windows 7 in recovery mode pcie x1 to x16 adapter amd driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered 8 pin adapter for gpu dalhousie university halifax ns canada list of bug bounty programs how to check rpc port is open paper clip trick power supply display driver not responding and has recovered amd amd overdrive fan control not working pci express 3.0 motherboard amd pcie 3 video card in pcie2 slot power supply connector to motherboard 4 pin molex to sata r9 290x tri x oc graphics card 6 pin power connector display driver amd driver stopped responding display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered 4 pin molex to 6 pin pci express thread stuck in device driver dual amd firepro d700 gpu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How fast does your internet speed need to be compared to hash rate?

stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭
edited May 2016 in Mining
My internet is very slow now that my 3 rigs are running. Rig 1 is 103Mhs, rig 2 is 92Mhs, rig 3 57Mhs. All three are hard wired to a managed switch then to the modem/router. I tested before I mined and it was about 25 down and 6MBs up. Can someone enlighten me as to how much more internet speed I need to produce 400Mhs?

Best Answers

Answers

• thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    I noticed a slow down in my Internet connection as well and I have a 150MB Down/Up dedicated Fiber optic connection. I'm running a Cisco enterprise router and switches.

I have two ISP connections (Comcast DOCSIS 3.0) 50MB Down/ 15MB Up / (Verizon FiOS) 150MB Down/ 150MB Up and my Comcast ISP connection is faster than my FiOS connection only when I'm mining. I figured it was just so never said anything.
  • stoonstoon Member Posts: 337 ✭✭
    I changed the service provides Router/Modem to just a modem and my Time capsule for the router. I have the 3 rigs connected to the managed switch then to the router. Everything seems to be running a lot better now. I'm thinking the service providers Cisco Router/Modem combo that couldn't handle the traffic. It was weird because I could still get 70 down and 6 up but I would always get these problems, not internet connected or major delayed and lots of buffering.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 322 ✭✭
    dlehenky said:

Your hash rate has very little to do with bandwidth usage. If you're on a pool, make sure you are using a stratum connection. If you're solo, which I doubt, the bandwidth you use is strictly 'geth' maintaining the blockchain, which is not much, once you are in sync (we're talking 10-20 Kbytes/sec, max).

Why is it beneficial to use a stratum connection when pool mining?
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @bctopics It decreases the delay getting the work from the pool to the miner.
  • bctopicsbctopics Member Posts: 322 ✭✭
    dlehenky said:

@bctopics It decreases the delay getting the work from the pool to the miner.

So in turn does that do what? Increase hashrate? or?
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Latency matters a bit; bandwidth not much at all.
  • nasa_denasa_de Member Posts: 35
    I am new in mining,
    1- My connection is 512 Kbps, is it enough for 2 rig? each rig have 4 R9 390 GPU.
    2- How much Traffic i will need for that in solo and pool mining?

• shutfushutfu Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    @bctopics stratum sends the work to you instead of ethminer using the getwork mode constantly pinging the server for new work, which could result in the miner working on a job that has already been solved, resulting in stale/invalid/rejected shares. At least, this is my understanding of it.
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2016
    So if latency is a key factor to receiving work and updating geth with requests, then wouldn't using stratum for solo mining on a lan be ideal as well to be more in synch?

If ethminer is setup to send requests for updates every 100-200ms, then that is already quite a bit of delay.
    Thats to me is like playing a FPS games on dialup back in 1990s versus others with digital connections that ping 30-100ms. 200ms vs 30-100ms + actual packet latency to synchornize, share and propagate with other peer nodes.

1 day of mining on a 6 gpu rig yields the following results using ethminer build 110 by genoil. Keep in mind this is only 1 of my mining rigs.

username@Box:~$ uptime
    22:24:04 up 1 day, 1:14, 3 users, load average: 0.71, 0.48, 0.45
    username@Box:~$ ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 888888888888
    inet addr:192.168.1.101 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: 88888888888888/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:11231208 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:16892797 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1615950133 (1.6 GB) TX bytes:1996785098 (1.9 GB)

Now for a ethernet LAN, its not a lot of data.

My Geth node server has RX bytes:4757886550 (4.7 GB) TX bytes:9341870553 (9.3 GB) after 14.75 hours.

I'd say it becomes a lot of data eventually and depending on:
    1. how many miners you have connected to your geth node.
    2. how many peers you have connected to your node.

or to comment.