Top Posts

molex to pcie 6 pin 600w power supply best buy javascript function return multiple values write your own bitcoin miner how to flash msi motherboard bios intel r hd graphics 4600 specs windows 7 display driver stopped responding and has recovered amd drivers for windows 7 64 bit radeon r9 290x power requirements what is a pcie x16 slot how much bandwidth does wow use amd driver has stopped working and successfully recovered paper clip trick power supply system interrupts in task manager how to make a molex to sata power adapter mini pcie adapter pcie x1 whats faster wifi or ethernet psu with 4 6 pin pcie ati radeon hd 6970 drivers jump start atx power supply display driver stoped responding and has recovered unexpected end of json input turn off intel hd graphics how to on power supply without motherboard dual molex to 8 pin graphic card for pci slot amd a8 6600k dual graphics will pcie work in pci slot windows remote desktop vs teamviewer graphics card pci express x1 critical error kernel power 41 63 half life 3 april fools what is a pcie power connector bitcoin synchronizing with network slow package installer sublime text 3 undefined reference to pthread create

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How connect two (2) 1300W Power Supply (PSU) to a Motherboard

nasa_denasa_de Member Posts: 35
How connect two (2) 1300W Power Supply (PSU) to a Motherboard?
Because i want to use 6*R9 290X and one PSU is not enough.

Best Answer

Answers

• nasa_denasa_de Member Posts: 35
    Is there any other method? i saw if use 2PSU for one Motherboard it may harm hardware.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 633 mod
    Don't worry, if you do it right you won't "harm" any hardware :)

My rigs have been running for over 2 years with multiple psu's. Haven't had any issues.

Just make sure you use the main psu for your main GPU, the one on the first 16x pci slot.
    As well as a power cable for risers. Also from the main psu.

Greetings!
  • oslakoslak Member Posts: 191
    @Heliox which do you turn on and turn off first if using paperclip? what is the sequence? There would be no harm if using same power supply right?

If cable is all black it should be on pin 16 and (pin 15 or pin 17) to insert the paperclip.

Just make sure you use the main psu for your main GPU, the one on the first 16x pci slot.
    As well as a power cable for risers. Also from the main psu.

To be clear, all(?) risers power (4pins) should be connected to the the main psu and the 8(6+2) pins to the 2nd psu.
    I will be using paperclip atm, no available cable adapter yet from the supplier. Just want to make sure no harm on the gpu or mobo. Thanks.
    @oslak

I always turn on the secondary psu first. Then i switch on the main one.

Yes all the power cables (basically mostly just one) that i use to power my risers, i hook up to the main power supply.

Not all your pci power cables need to be connected to the main psu, just make sure you power your main gpu (the one in the first "closest to the CPU" pci slot).

Greetings.
    edited May 2016
    @Heliox which one should I turn off first?

Yes you're right. I also noticed the order of the pcie slot, the one nearest to the cpu is the slot zero (p0) when modding. In my case this slot is x1.
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    EVGA gives you 24 pin tester adaptor with each psu. Plug that into your second psu' 24 pin motherboard plug, and turn on the power switch to second psu before starting main psu.
    big_MIKE said:

EVGA gives you 24 pin tester adaptor with each psu. Plug that into your second psu' 24 pin motherboard plug, and turn on the power switch to second psu before starting main psu.

Didn't know that about EVGA.

Thx for the info! :)
    oslak said:

@Heliox which one should I turn off first?

Yes you're right. I also noticed the order of the pcie slot, the one nearest to the cpu is the slot zero (p0) when modding. In my case this slot is x1.

I turn off the main one when shutting the system down first. :)
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I just flick both power supplies on at the same time on my dual PSU rigs. I do use dual PSU cables rather then permanently shorting the pins on the 2nd PSU.
or to comment.