4gb vs 8gb RAM for 5-6gpu mining

TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
I was told that I need more than 4gb to mine with 5+ cards. I currently have 4gb and am able to mine with 4, but couldn't get 5 cards to mine yet in win7. I tried the 6gpu hack and it did remove the error 43 in device manager for the 5th card but I still couldn't mine with it.

I was trying win10 for 5cards but couldn't get it to stop freezing with my rig (I think this is a driver issue as I had similar freezing in win7 until I updated from 15.12 to 16.4.2.

Anyway do you guys know if I need more than 4g for 5card mining?

Comments

• EastwindEastwind Member Posts: 107
    I use W8.1 to mine. There is no difference between 4 GB and 8 GB memory. I use up to 8 GPUs. 2X7990+4x390 or 6x390.
  • TruthchanterTruthchanter Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    Eastwind said:

I use W8.1 to mine. There is no difference between 4 GB and 8 GB memory. I use up to 8 GPUs. 2X7990+4x390 or 6x390.

Is W8.1 still available to buy or through torrents? If I can't 5 to work on win7 and if I can't stop the freezing with win10 I may be willing to try win8.1

And thanks for the info about 4gb vs 8gb
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 633 mod
    @Truthchanter

If windows 7 gives you issues and windows 10 also. I'm afraid Windows 8.1 isn't going to help either.

Your problem is somewhere else mate.

You'll need to go step by step and troubleshoot.
    edited May 2016
    Heliox said:

@Truthchanter

If windows 7 gives you issues and windows 10 also. I'm afraid Windows 8.1 isn't going to help either.

Your problem is somewhere else mate.

You'll need to go step by step and troubleshoot.

The issues are different for each OS:
    Win7 - 5th gpu wouldn't mine
    Win10 - crashing while i was trying to install drivers (i think i have to disable AMD Settings from startup to fix this, haven't tested yet).

I reinstalled Win7 so I'm about to see if I can get the 5th gpu to work mine now, and if not, i'll see if i can fix the win10 crashing with the amd settings fix. If both OS's won't let me mine the 5th card then I'm not sure what I could do
    I got 5gpu mining working with win7 now with this fresh install and using 16.4.1 instead of 15.12 on old install
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    I use Win10 with 15.7.1 drivers, and I can mine on a 6 card rig with as little as 2GB of RAM without a problem (most of my rigs have 4GB tho).
  • LogicaluserLogicaluser Member Posts: 214 ✭✭
    I've run into RAM limitations on numerous rigs when running 5 or more cards using both qtminer and genoil's ethminer (pre 1.10)

4GB is fine for four cards but will not allow mining on the 5th, and bumping the rigs up to 8GB resolves it.
    These are all AM3 rigs running Win7 x64 and 15.7.1. It wasn't always this way, started a few months back with a new DAG epoch.

I would imagine claymore's miner would not have this issue at all, since it's on-GPU DAG creation likely uses far less RAM

I've run into RAM limitations on numerous rigs when running 5 or more cards using both qtminer and genoil's ethminer (pre 1.10)

4GB is fine for four cards but will not allow mining on the 5th, and bumping the rigs up to 8GB resolves it.
    These are all AM3 rigs running Win7 x64 and 15.7.1. It wasn't always this way, started a few months back with a new DAG epoch.

I would imagine claymore's miner would not have this issue at all, since it's on-GPU DAG creation likely uses far less RAM

I've been using claymore even though one of my rigs using it isn't even mining decred, do you use something other? is genoils just as fast or faster? I thought claymore was faster than regular eth/qtminer
or to comment.