Help me Choosing PSU

Aldora5070Aldora5070 Member Posts: 13
Hi there, I'm quite new about nyoc mining. I've been mining on Genesis for quite sometimes, and now I want to mine with my own rig.

For the last 2 days, I've mine with my rig (i3, R7 260x, 8 gb RAM, and VS 450 power supply).
And today, my R7 260x making some kind of ripple on my monitor, when I detach the card and let it rest for a while, the card getting better, and when I re-attach it the ripple goes away (make it back to stock clock) and I checked errors for artefacts and nothing detected (and I see no artefacts as seen on website - I forgot the web). What I did: I overclocked the card with 450W power supply, and make it run mining 2 full days. The ripple is gone, but the temps go higher from before. I did some research and I think my PSU is not capable to do the job.

In somedays I wanna buy 1 HD 7950, and I want to replace my PSU with something better.

I've got some good deals on secondhand PSU. Here is the list:

XFX XXX 650W
Corsair VX 550W
Seasonic M12 II 620W
Corsair HX 650W

all of them has been used for around 4 years except the seasonic one, its only been used for around 3 years. The prices are around 50$ each.

So here is me questions:
1. Are that PSU are good? And which one should I take?
2. Is there any other suggestion? Those PSU are based on tomshardware PSU tier, and Im choosing the one with tier 2 or maybe 1 if I can get one. The budget is around 50$.
3. Should I get higher PSU watts for future upgrade on my gpu or should I get the one that can handle 1 gpu first, and consider the upgrade on my psu later when I will get my second gpu?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Go for the Corsair HX650, as long as it's the 80+ Gold rated version.

FYI, Seasonic manufactures the majority of power supplies used by other companies, so they're also very good, but the M12 II 620W is Bronze-rated.

Buy the largest capacity gold-rated PSU that you can afford for future-proofing your rig, regardless if you want to continue mining or not in the future (e.g. investment for gaming with beefier GPUs).
  • Aldora5070Aldora5070 Member Posts: 13
    mmx said:

Go for the Corsair HX650, as long as it's the 80+ Gold rated version.

FYI, Seasonic manufactures the majority of power supplies used by other companies, so they're also very good, but the M12 II 620W is Bronze-rated.

Buy the largest capacity gold-rated PSU that you can afford for future-proofing your rig, regardless if you want to continue mining or not in the future (e.g. investment for gaming with beefier GPUs).

The one that the seller offer looks like the bronze one.

http://corsair.com/en-us/professional-series-hx650-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-power-supply

If the corsair one is the bronze one, is it okay if I get the seasonic one? Cause its still got warranty on it.

I wanna ask something, is it okay if I tried to mine with tier 3 PSU? Because in that list, its not recommended, maybe any experience on using one of them?

The Bronze/Silver/Gold 80+ rating is primarily for efficiency and power delivery. It won't make a difference for the card, the computer or for mining in terms of performance. It will, however, limit the wattage capacity of the PSU under heavy loads (or high temperatures) and put a small dent in your wallet when it comes to paying the electricity bill.

The Sea Sonic one will also work just fine for mining, however I still recommend you go for the Corsair HX650 because it clearly states "Single +12V rail design providing up to 52A" on the product page. The Sea Sonic M12II-620 (non-EVO) only handles 20A on one +12V rail and must combine three 12V rails to achieve 48A.

Source: https://seasonic.com/product/m12ii-620-gm/

If you're only connecting one (1) GPU to the power supply (along with the rest of your computer's components) then any one of those power supplies you have listed will work.

The only times a power supply will matter - and this is where we're talking about a 100$ vs. 300$ one - is the railing. Single rail power supplies are more stable and will cause less headaches when dealing with multiple GPUs or overclocking. For this reason, I prefer the Corsair HX650.

Out of the 20+ Corsair power supplies I've owned, I never had to RMA one.
    G416G said:

If non have a very bad rating then go for the highest 12v amps for the lowest price. That is really the only factor. Power supplies don't do much and 12v is 12v and the video cards don't discriminate.

This is absolutely not true and shows ignorance. A quality power supply with the right internals make a significant impact on everything: true load capacity, thermals, overall efficiency, voltage fluctuation, handling of spikes/surges from the wall, etc.

Delivering a constant +12V with little to no fluctuation is not a requirement met by the majority of lower-end PSUs. A clean power source is essential to keeping your GPUs happy at high temperatures. A PSU that has multiple rails for the GPU shared with the rest of the system will be more often than not unstable, essentially causing damage to the components in the long-run. This is why I recommend a single rail PSU.

Blowing up a standard PSU is really not that difficult when you are mining 24/7. Tell me, what happens when you overload a cheap power supply and cause it to over (or under)-volt its rails? Where do you think that extra power will be heading towards?
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Using a low-end power supply for 24/7 mining is crazy tho, at least IMO. You're risking all your other components by cheaping out on one.

As mmx said, 12V is most definitely not 12V. Ripple, variance, number of rails, etc can definitely make a difference over time.
  • big_MIKEbig_MIKE Member Posts: 84
    Don't buy used psu for mining. Go buy a new EVGA, and keep your house from burning down, lol.
  • Aldora5070Aldora5070 Member Posts: 13
    thanks for all of the replies.
    from all of information I got from all of you, I decided to looking for PSU that least used and maybe still have warranty on it, and meanwhile I search for it I will still using this VS450 to mine so, so that I can get some bucks on my wallet. Things getting better when I make it to stock clocks.
    as @mmx and @G416G said, I will get PSU with a good quality (probably I will get a 1 year used 80+ Gold certified PSU with warranty on it) and the one with least used.

sorry for my bad English, I am from Indonesia, and nice to meet all of you.

Will be here for sometimes from now :)
or to comment.