Top Posts

power supply for r9 270x 6 pin to sata power cable where is the blockchain stored asus z87 pro lga 1150 motherboard psu with 4 6 pin pcie how to install windows inside ubuntu how to stop display driver from not responding sapphire toxic r9 280x 3gb how to reflow a gpu amd motherboards with pcie 3.0 couldn t find any package by regex what does dapp stand for can i convert bitcoins to cash msi motherboard usb 3.0 drivers will pcie x1 work in pcie x16 display driver stopped working and has recovered no amd driver is installed intel hd graphics 4000 opencl what is mining bitcoins mean dual amd firepro d700 with 6gb gddr5 gigabyte ga 990fxa ud3 rev 1.1 sata to 6 pin adapter ati radeon display driver stopped responding sapphire r9 280x dual-x oc facts about casper the friendly ghost motherboard for amd sempron 145 is jacque fresco still alive how to test pc power supply without motherboard pci e 16x riser cable how to install a bundle file in ubuntu sapphire vapor x r9 280x tri x video card slot on motherboard the cxx compiler identification is unknown pci to pci express adapter card

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remote Access for monitoring miners & best practices for Windows Rig?

Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
@boysie I saw in your other post you mentioned using VNC. How does that work? I'm looking for a good solution that will start up automatically in case of a crash / restart, which I can then log into from work and tweak settings if needed. What does everyone use or recommend?

Comments

• SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @Techman34 I use Dameware connecting through a proxy host that's built in, but that's just what we use at work... All you have to do is port forward the port used in Dameware to the IP of your rig and connect to your public IP. Make sure if you have Windows firewall on, that you create an inbound rule to let that port through.

Haven't used VNC in a few years, so don't know about that one. :)

EDIT: Dameware isn't free, so might not be a good solution.
  • XylocaineXylocaine Member Posts: 57
    Best free solution to maintain rig is TeamViewer, you don't need any port forwarding, public IP, etc. But if your rig just hangs... you need to restart it manually. ;)
  • juliasmainjuliasmain Member Posts: 21
    I would highly recommend you check out minergate.com perfect for you solution.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 633 mod
    Vnc all the way. Teamviewer uses to much resources. Could possibly screw up drivers. VNC is lightweight and works flawlessly. You can also create an addressbook so to access them is the same if not even better than with teamviewer.

+ it's free. Teamviewer isn't completely free.
  • mootwomootwo Member Posts: 46
    You guys know that TeamViewer got hacked recently, right? zdnet.com/article/teamviewer-confirms-extent-of-hack-significant/
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 402 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Xylocaine - think I'm going to go with Dameware or VNC.

@SIRacer09 are you using Dameware Remote or Mini Remote? And can you set Dameware to fire up upon a restart and be "access ready" in case of any crash/reboot while you're away?

And @Heliox Same question - can you set VNC to fire up upon a restart and be "access ready" in case of any crash/reboot while you're away?
    @Techman34 I'm using Mini Remote. It installs a service that automatically starts with Windows, so it would be "access ready" in case it reboots/crashes. It's kind of a bear to setup at first, but works like a charm after that. Another feature is you can connect via "KVM" if your hardware is Intel AMT compatible. This would help if your rig crashed and wasn't in a stable Windows state.
    Thanks @SIRacer09 any recommended setup guide/tutorial you used to set it up to share with us?
    @Techman34 This is what I used...

http://support.dameware.com/kb/article.aspx?ID=300040

I would suggest changing the default port though. I use the proxy so I can connect to multiple machines, not just my rig at home. :)
  • mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    mootwo said:

You guys know that TeamViewer got hacked recently, right? zdnet.com/article/teamviewer-confirms-extent-of-hack-significant/

No, they didn't. Don't read the URL, read the article. There is no mention or confirmation of TeamViewer's internal systems getting breached.
  • mootwomootwo Member Posts: 46
    Nobody said anything about TeamViewer's internal systems. Ok ok let's say "TeamViewer installations have been compromised". Does that sound better to you? Bottom line is that many people who use TeamViewer had their machines compromised and the common attack vector was the TeamViewer application.
  • mmxmmx Montreal, QCMember Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    mootwo said:

Nobody said anything about TeamViewer's internal systems. Ok ok let's say "TeamViewer installations have been compromised". Does that sound better to you? Bottom line is that many people who use TeamViewer had their machines compromised and the common attack vector was the TeamViewer application.

Umm... no. Did you read the article?

Users who used the same TeamViewer account password on another service (say a website that had a data leak) ended up getting pwned because they broke an unwritten rule about using passwords online: don't share passwords between sites.

If you use the same password for your forum account and @gmail address, and I was able to brute force the weak encryption used on these forums to get your password into cleartext (ironically, I have high-end GPUs at my disposal). If I login to your gmail with the same credentials used, did I hack gmail?
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016

I would highly recommend you check out minergate.com perfect for you solution.

shame it just does this on both my rigs, they are setup the same way except 1 has 3 gpu the other 6, it looks like it could be a nice idea but alas the following happens

Techman34 said:

@boysie I saw in your other post you mentioned using VNC. How does that work? I'm looking for a good solution that will start up automatically in case of a crash / restart, which I can then log into from work and tweak settings if needed. What does everyone use or recommend?

So VNC server can be installed on you rig(s) and you can access it with the default port from your internal network or port forward it over the internet, default port is 5900, use a strong password etc.

I use RDP to got to a box local then VNC to the rigs.

The whole reason for VNC is you get access to the desktop as if you were there (Session 1) this the only way to control the graphics cards and overclock via radeon software or afterburner, if you go in via rdp direct to the rig you will be using a virtual display adapter and the software cant see the cards

there is a client for almost any hardware so you are good there, you can use others like RoyalTS for more streamlined setups.

Once you have the server setup it will ask for a key the personal edition for 5 systems is free just apply for one if you haven't already

each of my rigs is set to power on when ever power is available (option in the bios) this means that power cut or something once restored they will all fire up automatically

I also have IoT (smartthings) power socket to monitor power usage and control a hard power off and on if needed remotely, this is nice to have when the box freezes and no way to power cycle

For auto starting you can do a few things.

Basic option is auto login with bat files in start up, this Is nice as it gives you visibility when you login but no options to recover should it stop or crash

Adv, find a service wrapper there are a few out there, I used: https://github.com/kohsuke/winsw/

It has options then to delay start (nice to let networking come up or local eth-proxy or restarting because it fails
    it will output the screen contents to a file and you can open this with some thing like notepad++ and setup tail if you want to see what it is doing but its not live and will update only every few mins.

I run it as a service when left running while I'm not in tuning mode and run on desktop bat file while tuning.
    The only real issue I have seen so far is the miner had failed but the service wrapper didn't know about that and just left it running, not sure how to fix that...think you would need code in the exe to report health to the service wrapper to detect its health and the devs would have to add that

so its a nice auto power on auto mine solution with some ability to see what's happening if you really need to...I tend to use the pool web page to se current status:

ethermine.org/miners/d466b7880996d6ca134398f79e93a5660acc2c31

Boysie

• greenusergreenuser 50.8862°N 4.5537°WMember Posts: 439 ✭✭
    boysie said:

...each of my rigs is set to power on when ever power is available (option in the bios) this means that power cut or something once restored they will all fire up automatically

I also have IoT (smartthings) power socket to monitor power usage and control a hard power off and on if needed remotely, this is nice to have when the box freezes and no way to power cycle

For auto starting you can do a few things.

Basic option is auto login with bat files in start up, this Is nice as it gives you visibility when you login but no options to recover should it stop or crash...

cool, as well as "lights on" I use free software called "Startup Delayer" from r2 Studio.
    http://r2.com.au/page/products/show/startup-delayer/
    it alows you to delay startup programs. i.e. start geth 1 min after start up progs load,... start mining bat 10 min after startup progs load. This gives geth time to sync. it also allows you a smooth startup as all the prosseses are not fighting each other for CPU power.

@boysie Thanks, nice write up and hard to argue with Free. Think I'll start with VNC. And when you say "I use RDP to got to a box local" what do you mean there - to the router or to like another pc that is not mining? I like the smart power socket and bios auto-on too. Hmmm decisions decisions...

@greenuser are you just using the free version of Startup Delayer? Did you setup a custom .bat for geth for starting it with the --rpc?
    edited June 2016
    @Techman34 yes and yes! ...and a custom bat for ethminer. You can set bat files to start X mins and X sec after startup or... You can set them to start when CPU usage drops below a set %

My machine can catch a windows update, install it, reboot, start geth, wait for 10 min and then start ethminer. All without my input.
    My rig needs no intervention.
    btw i dont use remote access at all, and the mining rig is not "joined" to my home network. the IPMI card is also disabled. you may want to read this
    http://itworld.com/article/2708437/security/ipmi--the-most-dangerous-protocol-you-ve-never-heard-of.html
    @Techman34

you know you dont need geth right? esp on a miner.

Geth is used to sync the block chain locally so you can access your wallet. and I would recommend doing that some where other than you r miners.

I meant by RDP to a local system from out side your house, some thing not mining. means I don't have to use multiple port forwarding for different rigs or even expose the rig to the internet coming inbound which seems like a bad idea.

I would also surget you secure your system you use your wallet on more than most. how ever you could achieve this. most dont turn it on unless you need to sync up and access your wallet...off it difficult to hack :)

Boysie
    edited June 2016
    boysie said:

@Techman34

you know you dont need geth right? esp on a miner.

Geth is used to sync the block chain locally so you can access your wallet. and I would recommend doing that some where other than you r miners.
    Boysie

"Geth" is used for solo mining. I monitor the "geth" wallet from a different machine via https://etherscan.io (and the geth eth address) in a web browser.
    When a block arrives in that geth wallet address, i go and plug in a monitor and mouse into that machine and send the 5eth from "geth" using "mist" to my "MyEtherWallet".
    I do not keep my coin on my miner. I guess you could make a smart contract to forward your coin when it comes in but i like to go and collect myself. :)

Thanks @greenuser I was wanting a little more control to monitor / affect it remotely if needed in addition to the autostart, vs. just autostart (though that does seem like a good interim solution until full remote access is setup so I'll work on that first).

@boysie I was not completely sure about that. I let it sync on my first rig overnight and that started mining but on my next two I was impatient and started geth but just fired up Claymore as well so thanks for confirming I don't need to run geth. So to confirm, basically I should have a "non-mining" gateway point like a laptop or something that I can then reach all my mining rigs from once "I'm in" - is that right? Are there more detailed steps you can share on how to do that?

• workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    mootwo said:

FUD... teamviewer didn't get hacked. A bunch of teamviewer users that used the same password for multiple services got "hacked" - but if you do that it's hardly a hack.

I use teamviewer myself. Super painless just-works solutuon.
or to comment.