Top Posts

pcie x1 to pcie x16 adapter how to measure gpu power consumption what is the purpose of the 4 pin molex connector who does newegg ship through msi afterburner fan speed locked sata power cable to molex video card slot on motherboard sapphire dual x r9 280x oc display amd driver stopped responding and has recovered aluminum angle iron home depot msi motherboard usb 3.0 drivers can you turn paypal into cash sata to pci express adapter display driver amd driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered sapphire vapor-x r9 280x tri-x driver display has stopped responding and has recovered teamviewer you established and aborted which is the best os 75w 6 pin pci express power connector display driver stopped responding and has been recovered psu with 4 6 pin pcie sapphire r9 290 vapor x peer to peer lending forum sapphire vapor-x r9 280x tri-x how to open terminal window in ubuntu ubuntu 14.04 vs windows 8.1 sapphire r9 280x vapor-x tri-x how to cancel newegg order 4 pin molex to sata power 650 watt power supply enough display driver stopped responding and has recovered windows 8.1 use motherboard and graphics card pci express x16 slot running at x4 ati radeon display driver stopped responding

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

usb riser cable length vs Performance

nathannnathann Member Posts: 72
I know standard risers use 1m cables, would i see any performance difference if i used a 2m or 3m cable? Does latency have an affect on mining?

Comments

• dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have different lengths up to 100cm (USB 3.0) and don't notice a speed difference.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    There is probably a data throughput maximum length for USB 3.0 (which is what risers are I believe), like for example cat5e ethernet has to be 90 metres or less to give you gigabit data rates... so if you can be bothered - google about USB 3.0 standards for your answer.

In fact here's a quote I got with a google search:

In April 2013, an update to the USB-IF compliance for USB 3.0 standards restricted A male to B male cable lengths to three meters maximum. Cables with USB 3.0 Micro B plugs were limited to one meter maximum for compliance requirement.

yes I think latency between a GPU and the mining software running on CPU/RAM will make a difference.

@dddrgonzooo
    100cm = 1 metre
  • dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    @newmz thanks... I commented from work on my mobile and realized my derp, edited and never came back to the thread.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    According to a friend of mine @Franco_oz - the risers don't actually use the USB 3.0 standard of data transmission, they are just using the USB 3.0 cables and connectors because they use the appropriate number of cores which are double shielded. This suggests that they need to be really resistant to loss and interference over a short distance. Maybe I would say stick to 1 metre after all.
  • nathannnathann Member Posts: 72
    Thanks @newmz, i appreciate your help
or to comment.