ASUS E-350 Mini PCIe to USB to PCIE x16 experiment.

remek4x4remek4x4 Republic of PolandMember Posts: 76
edited September 2016 in Mining
Hey guys, I'm going to upgrade my ITX E-350 micro-mining, go-where-the-free-electricity-is node with second graphics card.
The way I'm going to execute it is:
-Disconnect the WIFI card from MiniPCIe slot:

-Connect this adapter in there (it's USB 2.0):

-And connect it on the other end of USB cable to standard USB riser:

And the GPU into it...

And guys, here is where I need you:
- Do you see any incopatibilities or other mistakes that may exist in my plan? Do you think there is anything that may prevent this idea from succeeding?

This gonna be fun!

2.png 235.4K
1.png 1.1M
3.png 386.2K

Comments

• patrik2patrik2 Member Posts: 156 ✭✭
    You better use one of these and connect 3 GPUs to your MoBo: /discussion/5174/1x-x1-pcie-to-3x-x1-pcie-riser-board-thoughts/p1
  • remek4x4remek4x4 Republic of PolandMember Posts: 76
    patrik2 said:

You better use one of these and connect 3 GPUs to your MoBo: /discussion/5174/1x-x1-pcie-to-3x-x1-pcie-riser-board-thoughts/p1

Seems nice, but It would force me to get the GPU out of the x16 slot, and I dont want that (I wasn't joking with the portability thing, it's inside Bitfenix Prodigy case), and the second thing - that's 50$ price on the 1 to 3 riser, I can get the set above for 1/5 of that.

Thanks for input :)
  • Franco_ozFranco_oz Member Posts: 21
    It won't work. Risers are not USB. Only use the usb connection but not compatible with it. Reason is the USB3 has 9 pins and cables are double shielded. Also if your adaptor is usb2 as you said you going to only connect 4 pins of the 9. BTW the adaptor in picture is not usb2 as you said but usb3 :smiley:
    It says multiple times on the product page it's USB 2.0 - http://s.aliexpress.com/2eQVziIV
    So that will be a problem? I don't like that. I don't see any other risers that would work with miniPCIe.
    Thanks.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Won't work, like Franco_oz says. The risers just use USB cables since connectors and cables are readily available and they work well as data lines, but they aren't actually using the USB communication protocols.

Trying this would be like having Cat5 wired for a phone line and expecting it to provide you internet when you crimp an RJ45 jack at the other end.
    edited September 2016
    Okay, so I guess this adapter will work fine here:

http://s.aliexpress.com/QBr2maYf
    Right?
  • BlazinBlazin Member Posts: 24
    The description on the store is so short that I really can't tell if that USB port is designed for risers or not. The thing is not terribly expensive, so you could just take the risk and buy it.

Alternatively, you could buy this riser sold on eBay. It converts mini pci-e to a full length pci-e slot just like you wanted. It sells for $31.
    Blazin said:

The description on the store is so short that I really can't tell if that USB port is designed for risers or not. The thing is not terribly expensive, so you could just take the risk and buy it.

Alternatively, you could buy this riser sold on eBay. It converts mini pci-e to a full length pci-e slot just like you wanted. It sells for $31.

I don't want to use the USB port of the riser above, just the PCIe x1 with a standard x1 to x16 USB riser.
    I'm not actually 100% sure what the USB port is here for, maybe it will work with a riser, that would make it a little tidier and take one point-of-failure down too.

The riser you linked seems perfect, but is totally out of budget - 10$ is the upper limit of what I intend to spend here, come on that's not some rocket-equipment, just some pre fabricated boards quickly soldered in cheap chinese factory...

Thanks for input @Blazin :)
    Hey @remek4x4. I wasn't exactly sure if you wanted the riser to have a USB port or not. At least we got that cleared up.

Since you plan to use the mini PCIe to PCIe adapter you mentioned with a standard x1 to x16 riser, it should work fine. :)
  • Zorg33Zorg33 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭
    Just keep in mind that by plugging the usb cable of a riser into a usb port of any other device you actually have a very high probability of causing permanent damage to you graphics card!
    I definitely do not recommend trying it at all!

Connecting the data pins of your card to the 5V power lines of a regular USB... nope!!
    edited September 2016
    @Zorg33... @remek4x4 sounds like he will probably not be using the USB port. It sounds like he will be using the adapter's PCIe port with a standard PCIe x1->USB3->PCIe x16 riser.
    Post edited by Blazin on
    edited November 2016
    Okay, after finally recieving the adapter I'm back with the results.
    IT DID NOT WORK :(
    I plugged everything (MiniPCIe to PCIe x1, PCIe X1 to PCIe x16 and an R9 290, plus power for all of that) and:

The good:
    -The card is recognized as AMD Radeon R9 200 Series device, by both device manager and MSI afterburner.
    -Drivers do install
    -Adapter has nice blue LEDs

The bad:
    -The card does not output video
    -It is not listed as a card available for miner...
    -...nor is it working with Afterburner

Additional info:
    -Card works fine when plugged throught the USB3.0 riser directly to motherboard

I'm open for suggestions :)
    Hi there, I found in myself will to fight with this hardware again. So, does anyone here have any idea what, at least might, make it work correctly?

For a quick revise:
    I want to connect a GPU using a USB riser (the one visible above), into the miniPCIe to PCIex1 thing (the one below)

And into the miniPCIe port on the MOBO (used for WiFi card by default):

But while I managed to connect it and even got it recognized in the hardware manager and afterburner, but it doesn't generate video output, nor allows to read or change stats in AB, nor work with miners.
or to comment.