Top Posts

safest way to store bitcoins is it worth it to mine bitcoins power supply for r9 270x how much bandwidth does wow use bitcoin mining return on investment 500w power supply best buy difference between pci and pci express slot how do you convert bitcoin to cash graphics card 6 pin power connector what does dapp stand for where is the bitcoin blockchain stored sapphire r9 290 tri x referenceerror require is not defined javascript who does newegg ship with asus z97 vs msi z97 sapphire dual-x r9 280x 3gb can you turn bitcoins into cash asus republic of gamers forum six pin to eight pin adapter sapphire tri x r9 290x oc facts about casper the friendly ghost how to reset bios on msi motherboard psu with 6 pin connector amd radeon hd 6950 2gb pci card in pcie x16 slot display driver amd has stopped responding and has recovered what port does dameware use package installer sublime text 3 power supply pinout 24 pin pci e 1x graphics card sata to 6 pin pci express difference between 4gb and 8gb

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which GPU memory interface is best? 256-bit, 512-bit or 4096-bit(HBM)?

Gizmo84Gizmo84 Member Posts: 25
Can anyone explain which is best for ETH mining and why? @Genoil any insight on this? I thought wider interface (HBM 4096) would be best, but the Nano and fury arent any better than the r9 390 at hashing. i know the nano is less power. Also the new GPU's from AMD and Nvidia both have 256bit memory interface. so, can someone elaborate on the best fit for ETH mining?

Comments

• adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Its depends how much you pay for power.
  • Gizmo84Gizmo84 Member Posts: 25
    adaseb said:

$0.0439 a kwh
  • adasebadaseb Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Then you should just get a 7950/7970/280x/290/380/380x

Whichever is cheapest
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    HBM is so wide the ETH algo can't take full advantage of it (the algo does 128 byte random reads). 512 is better than 256, but the 512 cards are usually power hogs, too, and it's not as though the 512 cards are twice as fast as the 256 cards.
  • GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    I was actually thinking about this once again this morning, trying to figure out how on earth Wolf0 got his optimization together.

@dlehenky I'm not entirely sure about HBM being 'too wide'. If it did only a single 128-byte (1024-bit) access at a time, the effective maximum bandwidth would be 128GB/s, yielding only a max theoretical hashrate of 16MH/s, which isn't the case.

For the rest it seems like 256-bit is the bus width of next GPU season, although 512-bit does indeed work out better for ethash.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    @Genoil It does do double that (128 GB/s), because it's doing double the accesses per clock. So, you're right, it does get 256 GB/sec, effectively, but the bus is wide enough to do twice that, it's just that the ETH algo cannot take advantage of that fact. Half the HBM bandwidth is left on the table, that's all I was, not very successfully, trying to say.
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 633 mod
    @Genoil

I was talking to Wolf earlier on IRC.

His optimization is there, true, but it's not at any rate where i'm impressed to be honest.

He's doing 31Mh on a 290x @ 1100 core.

I'm doing 31Mh on a 290x @ 1050 core... (not dual mining..)

I told him this and also how and why, so i guess he'll be pushing something new in the next few days..

I'm curious :)

Greetings
    edited June 2016
    bitcanuck said:

Gizmo84 said:

adaseb said:

$0.0439 a kwh
    That's cheap. What city do you live in?
    Philadelphia USA
    bitcanuck said:

Gizmo84 said:

bitcanuck said:

Gizmo84 said:

adaseb said:

$0.0439 a kwh
    That's cheap. What city do you live in?
    Philadelphia USA
    Interesting to know the cheap wholesale power rates from nat. gas power plans feeding from Utica/Marcellus is actually flowing down to retail power rates.
    Yea this is the cheapest ive ever seen it. it's awesome. its why im getting into mining again :smiley:
or to comment.