Can't get my 6 RX 480 GPUs detected on Windows 10 (new rig)

mjaaaymjaaay Member Posts: 97
edited July 2016 in Mining
Hi all... I've been trying to build my Gaming+Mining rig for the past 4 weeks, ordering parts from China, Amazon, and hunting for various parts around my city, and at last all my parts have arrived... and I've been stuck in getting all my GPUs detected for 8 hours straight! My fingers and thumbs are blistered from replugging all those molex and 6-pin cables :(

First of all, here's a pic of my rig:

I ordered this server rack all the way from China, since it would make my rig animal-proof once I drill a bunch of holes and install a powerful fan by the side. Neat for those with animals.

And here's a picture of my motherboard PCIE slots in bios. I'm using this one: https://asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X99-GAMING

So if we can call my PCIE slots as A - B - C - D - E - F, with A being the one nearest to the CPU, that'd be great.

Now my problem is, I've tried a million different combinations and I can't get more than 3 GPUs detected. I can stick a single GPU onto F and A slot (without riser) and it would work, but if I stick the same GPU onto F slot with a riser, it wouldn't work (monitor doesn't boot up) but it works on A slot. It can't be a faulty riser because it works on A, but not on F (solo testing).

B slot (1x pcie) doesn't work single/combo, it just seems dead! Faulty mobo? And D slot (without riser) boots me into Windows in basic graphics mode, and when I looked into Device Manager, it shows my card as VGA Controller (not even Basic Microsoft card). This same D slot also never gets detected with riser.

E slot (1x pcie) works if I have a GPU on F (no riser), but E slot fails if I have no GPU on F slot without riser (this is crazy and confusing).

A + C + F works, (F without riser)

A + C + F does NOT work (all using risers)

I mean, I could go on, but the point is, I don't understand what's going on! I've tried everything I searched on these forums, including:
- uninstalling 16.7.2 crimson drivers in Safe Mode using DDU, then plugging in a single GPU onto A slot, installing the driver, reboot, then replacing A slot with a GPU using riser (works), rebooted, plugged in a second GPU onto F slot (fails, F slot doesn't get detected, tried with a confirmed working riser to make sure it isn't faulty).
- On Windows 10, tried flashing my BIOS to the latest one (ASUS-0801, as a last resort)
- Tried setting all my PCIE slots to Gen 1 mode in Bios, excluding the slot where I don't use riser, then changing it back when I test with riser
- Installed the 6 GPU mod for Windows

I'm at my wit's end, and I've been obsessed in getting this to work. 8 hours straight without dinner and it's 3 AM already! Right now, I'm mining using C, E, F (F without riser), while the other 3 cards are sitting on the side.

I suspect my motherboard is the issue here, but I'm just no expert when it comes to hardware - so if anyone knows what's going on, please save the rest of my hair.

Comments

• workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Copied from asus site for the motherboard specs:

Note
    *1 The PCIEX4_1, PCIEX1_2, and USB3.1_EC1EA2 connectors share the same bandwidth. By default, the PCIEX4_1 slot and PCIEX1_2 slot automatically run at x1 mode with USB3.1_EC1 and USB3.1_EA2 enabled for best resource optimization.
  • mjaaaymjaaay Member Posts: 97
    edited July 2016
    work said:

Copied from asus site for the motherboard specs:

Note
    *1 The PCIEX4_1, PCIEX1_2, and USB3.1_EC1EA2 connectors share the same bandwidth. By default, the PCIEX4_1 slot and PCIEX1_2 slot automatically run at x1 mode with USB3.1_EC1 and USB3.1_EA2 enabled for best resource optimization.

Hmmm what does that mean? Doesnt that mean I should get at least 5 cards detected..

Is there a way to modify the registry settings to run all 6 pcie slots individually?
    Post edited by mjaaay on
    At this point I am considering to sell my motherboard second-hand and look for a real motherboard that can support 6 GPUs... it's pretty shitty how ASUS hid this important piece of information at the bottom of their spec page. Is there a way I can get a refund for this nonsense? I mean the PCIEX1_1 doesn't even work!
  • theneogeo1982theneogeo1982 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Haha idiots! Get yourself an Asrock

I mentioned I am building a Gaming + Mining rig, an Asrock H81 wouldn't be sufficient for my gaming needs.
    @mjaay Asus didn't hide anything, the shared PCI-e lanes are very very clearly documented right on the specs page. Just because you didn't read the full specs doesn't mean it's hidden; it took me all of 30 seconds to find that info I pasted. You might be able to get a refund, but IMO this is a buyer beware situation; most motherboards don't support more then 3 PCI-e devices at the same time.

First off, based on that info I pasted, try disabling USB3. Moreover, disable every port or feature in the BIOS you aren't using. Then try again and see what happens.
    edited July 2016
    work said:

@mjaay Asus didn't hide anything, the shared PCI-e lanes are very very clearly documented right on the specs page. Just because you didn't read the full specs doesn't mean it's hidden; it took me all of 30 seconds to find that info I pasted. You might be able to get a refund, but IMO this is a buyer beware situation; most motherboards don't support more then 3 PCI-e devices at the same time.

First off, based on that info I pasted, try disabling USB3. Moreover, disable every port or feature in the BIOS you aren't using. Then try again and see what happens.

But of course. I bought this motherboard at my physical computer shop dealer, and the PC parts seller told me this mobo had 6 PCIE slots for me to do whatever I wanted (perhaps I can hold him responsible - but only as a last resort). Even on the physical box of the motherboard, it did not mention the text you copy pasted from - THAT text is only listed on their specs website.

So even based on that, I can't issue a refund because their hard-box neglected this important piece of information?

Ah and thanks for your suggestions, I'll try it out immediately when I get off work in approx 4 hours. I've been consulting people about my mining rig and people seemed to tell me to get a motherboard that visually had 6 PCIE slots, and that was that. This discovery regarding "shared PCIE lanes" is a complete shocker.
    Just a quick update:
    I'm reading the motherboard manual at work, and it appears my in-built WIFI card is taking up the PCIE1x_1 slot

Wi-Fi Controller/PCIEX1_1 is set to [Enabled] by default. Set this item in BIOS to
    [Disabled] to enable auto detection of PCIEX1_1 device.

Also found this part:
    If the x1 device is not detected on PCIEX8_3 slot, set the PCIEX8_3 Slot Bandwidth
    item in BIOS to [X8 Mode]. Refer to section 3.6.7 Onboard Devices Configuration
    for details

And besides, shared USB + PCIE slots shouldn't prevent my cards from being detected. Regardless, it seems most of my answers are buried inside this motherboard manual... I'll keep reading and try what @work suggested.
  • cscheatcscheat Member Posts: 147 ✭✭
    sell it and get the asrock
    Hi haters. Thought I'd update you that I got 5 GPUs detected.

The culprit was, one of my GPU (PCIEX16_2) needed to install Radeon drivers manually solo (i'm assuming it had its own controller and AMD driver installation didn't affect it since it wasn't plugged in when I installed the driver).

The second culprit, was my inbuilt WIFI taking up the PCIEX1_1 slot. Disabling it in Bios enabled that slot to work fine.

So I managed to get 5 cards detected, AND have a beast gaming rig. Screw you Asrock fanboys.

Now my only problem is when I seat in a 6th, my screen stays black and doesn't show anything on on boot, not even Bios. I made sure that my screen data wasn't outputting from a different GPU, since I had tested each GPU 3-times to ensure that nothing is coming out. And besides, if it did boot, I would had heard a Windows startup music. Don't know why this is happening, but I'll buy a 6th riser tomorrow to test.

So yeah, this had absolutely NOTHING to do with my PCIE slots being "shared" with USB ports. Thanks regardless. Reading the motherboard manual was the way to go.

• evertecevertec Member Posts: 15
    Aren't you reducing the speeds significantly of your cards for gaming if you're putting all but one on risers? Curious because I have a similar situation.. have 3 cards right now but if I put any more, I'll have to put one or more on risers, which I was thinking would render the one on the riser useless for gaming.
    edited July 2016
    At the moment all my cards (5) are on risers, and I can still get 70 FPS in overwatch on epic settings in 4k monitor 60 hz. That's the exact speed I was getting when I seat a single solo RX 480 on my motherboard, so I'm not complaining too much. I just do --opencl-devices 0 1 2 4 (3 is the card I'm gaming with) and I can mine with 4 cards while the 5th one is used for gaming.

I'm thinking of getting a proper extender for the first 16x slot so it doesn't lose performance speed when gaming, and crossfire them on these 16x -> 16x USB extenders, but my priority right now is getting all 6 cards working. Will post results later the week as I get them slowly working.
    edited July 2016
    We're haters because we are telling you to get something that works? Hahah!!! I wouldn't ever get an Asrock for gaming but Asrock for mining are great, hence your issues then you tell us screw us because we tried to help you and called us fanboys! You're a special kind of stupid huh
    I'd say everyone should tell you to shut up,and figure it out in your own! I'm amazed people would want to help you after biting the hand that helps you
    edited July 2016

We're haters because we are telling you to get something that works? Hahah!!! I wouldn't ever get an Asrock for gaming but Asrock for mining are great, hence your issues then you tell us screw us because we tried to help you and called us fanboys! You're a special kind of stupid huh

First of all, you decided to join in this thread and call non-ASROCK motherboard people as idiots - and you wonder why I tell you to screw yourself in the rear?

Second of all, I have made THREE threads on this forum asking for help and advice in building a GAMING + MINING rig using a NON-AsRock motherboard. Those who participated in those three threads were positive posters who were helping me out in building a Gaming+Mining rig.

/discussion/7819/gaming-6x-gpu-mining-rig-help-appreciated#latest
    /discussion/7993/question-about-intel-6850k-cpu-requirement-for-6x-gpu-gaming-mining-rig#latest
    /discussion/8001/motherboard-problem-for-6-gpu-mining-ga-x99-gaming-5p#latest

Basically, you're the only piece of turd who came in and shat on everybody, and you don't speak for "we" - you're just a troll who's head is so far stuck into AsRock's ass, that you can't see shit for all the shit clogged in your eyeballs.

And I should mention that my motherboard "works" just fine. At the end, none of your pseudo-intellectualism helped out at all. Real work, like reading the actual motherboard manual, pinpointed my exact problem. What are you afraid of - progressiveness? Are you going to mine with the "only" motherboard for life, and ignore all other boards just because you're too lazy to read the manual and tweak a setting or two in the mobo? Christ, people like you sicken me. Technology advances because of people NOT like you.
    I was calling Asus idiots not you mr.theworldrevovlesaroundme
    You're calling me lazy cause you went on a forum asking for help without properly reading your manual. Hahahahahaha, this day has shaped up to be hilarious! Of course people will go for easy and simple, who wants to get something knowingly that it can be an issues they can't solve! Really guy! Really?
    edited July 2016

I was calling Asus idiots not you mr.theworldrevovlesaroundme

Asus is the motherboard I have - which works fine after troubleshooting. You're telling me to get an AsRock and an idiot.

You're calling me lazy cause you went on a forum asking for help without properly reading your manual. Hahahahahaha, this day has shaped up to be hilarious! Of course people will go for easy and simple, who wants to get something knowingly that it can be an issues they can't solve! Really guy! Really?

I went onto the forum for help, and it was the forum who gave me clues to look into the Bios, which led me to check the manual.

The advice I had received earlier, was just get ANY motherboard with "6 PCIE slots". How would I expect my mobo to have an inbuilt WIFI card secretly occupying the PCIEX1_1 slot?
    If you read zee manual of course ;-)
    @mjaaay reading the manual is the way to go, definitely. I bet it's possible to get that 6th slot working too. Glad you figured it out!
    work said:

@mjaaay reading the manual is the way to go, definitely. I bet it's possible to get that 6th slot working too. Glad you figured it out!

Thanks, your tip about disabling the USB ports led me to stumble upon the manual. Visually, the 1x slot looks unoccupied so without consulting the manual, nobody would had suspected this - since I had assumed the WIFI card was powered by USB.

I'm still at work now, and I have the new riser by my side. Will get the last remaining slot working when I get home. There's a "debugger" screen that shows me a 2digit code when I fail to bootup, and the riser will let me see the code and consult the manual (currently my physical GPU is covering that screen and I can't see the code).
  • evertecevertec Member Posts: 15
    mjaaay said:

At the moment all my cards (5) are on risers, and I can still get 70 FPS in overwatch on epic settings in 4k monitor 60 hz. That's the exact speed I was getting when I seat a single solo RX 480 on my motherboard, so I'm not complaining too much. I just do --opencl-devices 0 1 2 4 (3 is the card I'm gaming with) and I can mine with 4 cards while the 5th one is used for gaming.

I'm thinking of getting a proper extender for the first 16x slot so it doesn't lose performance speed when gaming, and crossfire them on these 16x -> 16x USB extenders, but my priority right now is getting all 6 cards working. Will post results later the week as I get them slowly working.

I have 3 running in crossfire but I don't think I can use the 4th since my motherboard only has 3 16x slots, the rest are 1x.
    evertec said:

mjaaay said:

I have 3 running in crossfire but I don't think I can use the 4th since my motherboard only has 3 16x slots, the rest are 1x.
    Technically your 1x slots should work with risers. To me PCIE slots are like USB slots, no reason why they wouldn't work unless it's limited by design.
    edited July 2016
    Update: I left my damn riser at work, but I managed to crawl under the server rack and look at the Debug code: 96. On the manual, it stands for "PCI Bus Assign Resources". That's the error I get when I have 5 GPUs on risers and 1 GPU seated on motherboard. This info is just for anyone who's curious about my situation.

I tried googling but it wasn't much help. I disabled USB3.0 in the bios but same thing. No problem though, tomorrow night I will get my riser and see if all 6 GPUs will work.
or to comment.